I baked these biscuits today. They are very shortbready… Very good, and they look – in the words of a very good friend – “friggen awesome”.
75g icing sugar
150g butter, softened
1 lemon (I didn’t have one, so I used orange essence)
200g plain flour
2 tbsp milk
pink food coloring
- Grease baking trays.Sift icing sugar into a large bowl. Add the butter and stir it in until the mixture is smooth.
- Grate the lemon rind on the small holes of a grater. Stir rind into the mixture. Sift the flour into the bowl. Stir it in.
- Stir the milk into the mixture.Then, put half into another bowl. Add three drops of pink food coloring to one bowl. Stir it in.
- Make 2 balls of dough. Flatten each one a little and wrap in plastic wrap. Put them in the fridge for the 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour onto a clean surface. Use a rollig pin to roll the plain dough util it is 25x15cm and 5mm thick.
- Roll out the pink dough. Brush the plain dough with a little water. Lift the pink dough onto the plain dough.
- Cut the edges of the dough straight. Roll it up from one of the long sides. Wrap in foodwrap. Put it in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 180 degrees. Take dough from the fridge, and cut into 5mm slices. Put them on the trays.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes. Leave them on the trays for 2 minutes. Use a spatula to lift them to a wire rack.
(from Usborne’s 30 Yummy things to Bake)