If you have been reading my blog for a while, you will know that I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was about 16. The doctor told me that the chances of me ever getting pregnant without IVF or other medical interventions were basically nonexistent. This may have been true, but after doing my own research the last few years, I decided to try and boost fertility naturally. Here are my tips for women suffering from PCOS:
- Lose weight if you are overweight – I was/am overweight, and this hindered my chances of getting pregnant. I lost 13kgs while following a balanced healthy eating plan which helped me have energy and feel better about myself. The emphasis is on HEALTHY eating.
- Exercise – I am a self-confessed hater of exercise, mostly because I don’t like getting sweaty and dirty and most time exercise is boring to me. But when I started exercising, the weight came off easier and I felt healthier.
- Take supplements – Omega 3 & 6, Evening Primrose Oil and Vitex – these are all very very good for PCOS, the Vitex and the Evening Primrose help regulate cycles and the Omega 3 & 6 provide healthy fats which actually promote weight loss.
- Relax – don’t think about becoming pregnant, don’t intentionally go and “try” to get pregnant. This causes stress, which in turn lowers fertility. It also makes for unpleasant home life.
- Pray – Leave your dreams for children at the cross… Ask God to heal you and help you to deal with the PCOS.
These are just 4 things which helped me immensely. I know that all in all it was God’s doing that we became pregnant, but these are practical things you can do to improve your health anyway.
Please note I have no medical training, and this is just my opinion and what worked for me, rather discuss it with your doctor before you make any drastic changes to your lifestyle.